Saturday, July 18, 2009

The Multiplying Church

So I (Scott) just finished up The Multiplying Church by Bob Roberts Jr. and was blown away. Roberts did not woo me with his literary skills, but with his passion and vision for what a Kingdom of God church should look like. He argues that churches oftentimes only grow by addition (for example, planting one church at a time); he encourages pastors, planters and all disciples to think on a bigger scale, namely catching God's vision of birthing many congregations locally and globally. This fusion of the local and the global Roberts identifies as glocal. In other words, a multiplying church should impact its local domains within its own particular culture, but also impact the world globally by partnering and planting churches among the nations. Roberts also argues that the local church must become the church planting center, meaning that the local church must raise up its own leaders by recruitment, training and equipping, and finally, partnering and releasing them to go out and fulfill the Great Commission.

I had the privilege to hear Roberts speak a couple of months ago when Justin, Miriam, and I were at the Exponential Conference in Orlando, Florida. Of all the speakers I listened to, Roberts was the one that I felt most connected to, for his passion and vision stirred the passions within my own heart. Now I don't know why I felt this way about him. Maybe it's because he is a Texan, and culturally I could relate to him more than the other speakers. But maybe it was something more, for everything I dream about he is actually living out on a day to day basis. He's living the Kingdom life I've always dreamed about and continues to inspire and encourage me. Pick up a copy and discuss The Multiplying Church with a group of friends. You will be greatly blessed and challenged.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey bud! Treske here. I've heard Bob speak too but not read this book yet. He's based down here in the DFW area. Ps. Paul Cole (my pastor) is actually great friends with him and they meet often to discuss Men's Ministry (Cole's specialty) and Growth/planting (roberts's specialty). I was just talking with Ps. Cole about their last meeting. Hope all is well with you and Miriam!

Blessings!

Treske (the other twin tower :)